Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Spotlight Read: Legend: Defend the Grounds - Samuel Sattin

30897724

I'm trying to not chose titles that are all of similar genre, but I'm afraid these first few spotlight posts are going to do just that. I'm a huge fan of graphic novels that are a little off the wall. Wytches, The Arrival, I Kill Giants, anything that's more than just the run-of-the-mill superhero story. Not that those aren't awesome, I just enjoy something a little more in-depth and a little more, dare I say, weird. With Legend, the story is surrounding one-time pets, cats and dogs, that are now running in factions in a bleak, post-apocalyptic cityscape with just a few shades left of what was once humanity (pun intended).



The canine group, governed by blind Corgi Elder Willa (if that doesn't pique your interest, I have nothing to say to you), the felines being lead by Queen Bagheera. After the Dog Tribe leader was killed my a mysterious monster, Legend, an English Pointer, reluctantly steps up as the tribe's new leader. However, they cannot overcome the evil that lurks in the skeletal remains of their city on their own.

I mean, look at this. It's freaking gorgeous.

The fellow members of the dog tribe are skeptical as they follow Legend to the den of the cat clan, who have adopted and modified human technology to use as their own. The felines are a brutal, ruthless gang, with armor and weaponry akin to Mad Max.  The two factions do not trust each other, both claiming the other to be idiots and heathens. But in order to defeat the malevolent beings that plagues them both in this new world, they must overcome this obstacle and use their skills in a joint effort to save themselves and ensure their survival.

The Cats have hidden knowledge on the beasts that lurk in the shadows. 

This was an incredibly pleasant surprise. I managed to catch this on my Goodreads newsfeed from a reviewer I'm following and I had my own copy from my library system in my hands three days later. I'm honestly surprised there isn't more buzz about this story, seeing as its been out since November. In a world of numerous prequels, sequels, and retellings, seeing something that stands out as unique as this is a welcome curiosity. Sattin crafts a story that is equal parts intrigue, heartfelt, and character driven. The animals themselves have more characterization in just a few panels than most books can offer up in multiple chapters. I'm an animal lover, I will be the first to admit I will greet a dog before I will greet their human. The backstories on who they were before the human affected blight that rendered these housepets into nomads are heartbreaking; one such character refusing to take off their collar as it is a reminder of the life they had before. The cats go so far to say that there were never really ruled by humans not really. As the wait staff to two four legged felines, I can attest to the truth in this statement. The dogs are fiercely loyal to each other, and there's a very surprising element of camaraderie between two unlikely candidates, but I won't spoil that scene for you as it is a very touching story. And the art. Ugh, the art is absolutely stunning. The emotion Chris Koehler portrays in the animals' faces is so human but still manages to look authentic to the creature. There is a relatively limited color pallet, but when there's color, it is stunningly vivid and striking.

I will leave you with one of my favorite panels of the entire volume.

Overall, fans of things like Redwall, Watership Down, and even the Warriors/Survivors series by Erin Hunter (although this is much more intense than the latter and not recommended for younger readers.) will definitely enjoy this dystopian animal-centric story. Be forewarned however, there are animal deaths and a brief subplot about dog fighting that can be upsetting for readers, coming from someone who still hasn't, and will always refuse to, finish Old Yeller.

No comments:

Post a Comment